Paragon Innovations designs the AMD Malibu Evaluation Board.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD), a global supplier of integrated circuits, required an evaluation board to enhance its AM186ED controller family and give users code-writing access. The company had only 10 weeks to develop a prototype to display at a national trade show. It needed a reliable, rapid-development source for firmware design.
AMD tapped Paragon Innovations to design the Malibu evaluation board before the show. Results were successful; Paragon even created a sample board a month prior for product brochure photography. AMD developed 1,000 boards.
- Documentation and product were available at the show.
- Paragon produced over 1000 of these reference boards.
- Complete hardware and software documentation – including IP rights – was provided to AMD as a value-add.
- Completed boards, user manuals, serial cables, power supplies, and packaging were delivered for a positive ‘out of the box’ experience.
Prior Outsourcing Experience
- In-house and external contractors
- Had mixed results
- Electronic design and development
- Printed user manuals
Firsts for Client
- 100% turnkey with Paragon
Firsts for Paragon
Features Suggested by Paragon
- Daughter card capable of re-flashing the board in the field
Target Production Size
- External Flash
- 2 serial ports
- PC-104 BUS interface
- 10 week development timeframe
- Power-on self test
- Embedded ROM monitor: allowing downloading of programs, single-step, and register modification
- OrCad schematic capture package
- 4-inch x 4-inch, 4-layer board
- Allegro layout package with 8/8 design rules
Primary Hardware Vendors
Additional Items Provided
- User Guides
- Serial Cables and adapters
- International plugs
- Brochures were made prior to the deadline.
- Production boards were available at the show.